From: Robert MacDonald [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 8:16 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] How do I lock down SecuRemote on a client PC????

Jay,

What are you specifically looking to lock them out of?

They might futz around in the config and disallow themselves
access because the broke it, but after you let them sit for a
while without the ability to connect, they most likely won't do
that again(of course you need to fix it :) You really control most
of what they access from your end(not including non-work
sites.)

>From my point of view, I see this as one of those where you
take some steps to do the work, but unsterstand you will
have those who will defeat you. I wouldn't spend your every
waking moment trying to out-do your users, but instead make
sure they understand that you've given them the tool(s) so they
may do their work and they should leave certain aspects of the
system alone ( e.g. polcies).

The harder you work to lock down their system, the more work
you will create for yourself in the long run and most likely for the
mobile user.

With that said, you could use NT on the remote systems and
don't allow them any administrative privledges. You could attempt
to lock down the system to a point at which it is functional, but
difficult for your user and you.

You really can't lock down SR as you could SC. The config file
will need to be writable(to do updates et'al) and so does the
directory that SR lives in, and that allows them to update it
manually as well.

Maybe this will spark others to pipe up and give some ways to
help you out.

Robert

- -
Robert P. MacDonald
Global Infrastructure Group, Haworth, Inc.
Voice:email: [email protected]