RE: [FW1] VPN Performance Load

Ronnie,

I hate to be the voice of doom, but 10% overhead is a lovely dream
compared to the ugly reality of more than 80% overhead.  Throughput will
go WAY down when you start encrypting traffic.  This is not a slam on
VPN-1, which is an excellent product, but just the cold reality of
encryption, which is very processor-intensive by nature.  The more
secure the encryption method, the worse your throughput will be (e.g.
3DES is 1/2 the throughput of regular DES).  Here is VPN-specific
benchmark data from Check Point:

http://www.checkpoint.com/products/vpn1/vpn1perfdata.html#Throughput

The good news is that there are some things you can do to speed things
back up.  The most common is to install a hardware accelerator card,
which can dramatically increase VPN throughput by offloading the
encryption task.  Or, if you happen to have a multi-processor box, you
can use the additional processors as pseudo hardware accelerators
(requires the new VPNx driver in SP3).  If hardware doesn't give enough
of a boost, or if you also are concerned with reliability and downtime
prevention, you can also cluster multiple VPN-1 gateways together and
load balance them with RainWall.  Clustering can be used either with or
without a hardware accelerator to scale up VPN performance.  For more
info, read this white paper:

http://www.rainfinity.com/us/eng/downloads/whitepapers/wp_increasing_fw_
capacity.pdf

If you will have mixed VPN and non-VPN traffic, your results will be
somewhere in between.  If only 10% of your traffic is SecuRemote, and
the rest is regular browsing and email, the impact will not be as large
as if 60% of your traffic is SecuRemote.

HTH,

Mark L. Decker
Rainfinity
[email protected]