Re: [FW1] Error message when compiling a policy - S/Key and FWA1

Sure Jonathan,
In early releases of Firewall-1 (fw 4.0 sp4 and back) you could not use fwa1 session
encryption if your enforcement point did not have a vpn(something) string.  This was
changed in 4.0 sp5 and anything later.  If the other box does not give the error,
then chances are someone has hacked at the control.map file (a common nokia
recommendation, but serious mistake.)  Your skey failure may be related to how the
box sees itself.

On the nokia platform when doing skey authentication, the nokia box will force its'
communications with management to have keys with the ip address referenced by the
local hostname.  So if you had a box with 200.1.1.1 outside, 10.1.1.1 inside, and
management 10.1.1.2 -- and the hostname on the nokia box reflected the external ip
address, then skey transfers would fail because the nokia would insist that it was
NOT 10.1.1.1, but only 10.1.1.2

Solutions:
Get a vpn license
upgrade 4.0 sp5 or higher
change the hostname through the voyager interface to reflect the ip address of the
nic closest to the management station.  Do not change any firewall objects within
the gui as this could cause some serious problems.

CryptoTech