Re: [FW1] Checkpoint Licensing

Tim and David,

Tim, your right. But your answer needs clarifcation.

Checkpoint counts IP's that it 'sees' on all interfaces _except_
the external interface($FWDIR/conf/external.if).

Technically, you license based on the number of hosts allowed
in the IP network your using(class C=255(253), B=65536(65534) or
if you've subnetted, then the total allowed in the subnet) This is how
checkpoint likes to make oooodles of $$. But most of the time the
licensing is an art of interpretation.

David, you may want to verify the contents of your 'external.if'
file and make sure that it's using the true external interface(one facing
your ISP.)

Also, you need to remove/rename the following two files and then
restart fw1(fwstop;fwstart):

$FWDIR/database/fwd.h and $FWDIR/database/fwd.hosts

See http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/faq/0001.html for a nice
writeup on this issue.

Robert
(p.s. oooodles is a technical term for a lot :)

- -
Robert P. MacDonald
Global Infrastructure Group, Haworth, Inc.
Voice:email: [email protected]