[FW1] Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:06:14 -0800

I have an internal MS DNS server.  I received this message in the event
viewer: " DNS server encountered invalid domain name in packet from
216.x.x.x.
Packet is rejected."

The IP address 216.x.x.x is an external DNS server.

We are using Split DNS.  Internal DNS containing internal machines
information
and External DNS containing dmz host machines only. The user client machines
connect to the internal DNS for querying external sites. The internal DNS
has cache.dns file information of the root DNS server on the Internet. We
are using NAT on the firewall.

Question:

1. What is your analysis of the error message that I'm getting on the DNS
server ?

2. Does FW1 4.0 does stateful inspection on DNS packets ?

Thanks,
Jaime