Re: [FW1] CVP manager and H.A.

Ihsan,

Sometimes when a post has many questions, it is more
difficult to answer(takes a lot more time.)

I'll take a stab at some of these, although I haven't used
the product.

For Q1 & Q2, it would probably be best to call CP or a VAR and
discuss.

1. Yes, but not like a HA system. It's chained to provide load
   balancing. Take a look at CP marketing info at
   http://www.checkpoint.com/products/downloads/tnopsec.pdf

   Also, found some comments from AT&T Canada group. See http://www.attcanada.ca/security/newsletter.html#mar13III

2. My assumption(ack) is yes, since it comes with VPN-1 / Firewall-1.
   Clip from CP marketing info:

"An advanced component of the latest generation of CVP is CVP Manager,
included with VPN-1 and FireWall-1. CVP Manager can be configured to
chain a number of content validation servers to allow multiple scans of the
same file. It can also provide basic load sharing of content to multiple
validation servers, enabling scalability as well as failover capability for
validation servers. CVP Manager is extremely important if the customer
has multiple validation servers, each performing a different validation such
as anti-virus, URL filtering or email-scanning. "

3. The more you load onto a system, the better your chance for
a problem. By trying to load as much as you can onto one system
in order to save $$ on multiple systems, could end up biting you in the
hind quarters and costing you much more(downtime, integrity, lost revenue,
etc.)

4. This is definitly flame-bait. Can't help you here since I haven't done it.

5. If the virus is passing through undetected, I would call support for
the product and get it fixed or use another product. The virus might be
on it's list, but if it's a variant, it might pass since it may not match the
signiture of the known viruses.

As for multiscanning, to me, this is silly(I didn't call you silly!).
If the first product cannot do what you paid all that money for
and spent the time to setup - dump it! To setup >1 of these in an
attempt to catch design issues in the first is just a plain waste of time
and $$.

So, how did I do?...yeah, I thought the same.

Robert
>>> <[email protected]> 02/16/01 04:48PM >>>
>
>Hi,
>I've asked this question before and I get no answer about CVP manager.
>Would you help me please?
>
>1. Is it possible to run more than one CVPManager ? Then if not, won't
>be a single point of failure?
>
>2. Will CVP Manager run on Linux?
>
>3. Checkpoint tells that you can setup the CVPManager on a firewall, is
>it feasible/possible on a FW or on High Avaliable Firewalls? Does it
>have security and performance problems?
>
>4. What is the performance issue and HW recommendations? (For Solaris or
>NT machine. Does anybody have experience running CVP manager on cluster
>machines?)
>
>5. We have some problems about E-safe. Like, we've seen mails with
>virusses passing through the E-safe(!), even if it's on the virus table.
>Therefore, is there a way of multiscaning some attachments with another
>Virus SW via CVP?. (There's a parameter on cvpm.conf "drop_on_unsafe" ,
>what's that?)
>
>Regards.
>
>Ihsan Cakmakli
>YKT

- -
Robert P. MacDonald
Global Infrastructure Group, Haworth, Inc.
Voice:email: [email protected]