Re: [FW1] FireWall-1 and Dual CPU machine

I think you have a reading comprehension problem.  I had this when I was
in elementary school, but I beleive I have overcome it.  Quite obviously
you have NOT.

I was quite obviously stating that LINUX KERNEL networking is multi
threaded.

Now this is the second time that you have done this to me.  I have never
had to filter a persons email address to /dev/null before...

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, CryptoTech wrote:

> <rant>
> Come on people,  HOW MANY TIME DOES IT HAVE TO BE STATED-----
>
> FIREWALL-1 IS NOT MULTITHREADED.  If you run security servers, they can run multiple
> instances with each bound to a separate processor, but the core code is NOT
> multithreaded.
>
> </rant>
> Seriously, the documentation will make this clear.
>

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > fyi,
> >
> > linux 2.4.1 kernel has MUCH better networking stats, and infact its
> > multithreaded... from what I understand.
> >
> > On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Peter Lukas wrote:
> >

> > > Even with a GigE adapter, the bottleneck is the processor as it crunches
> > > through the policy.
> > >
> > > The newer 900MHz UltraIII's would most likely enable you to approach the
> > > capacity of the 100Mbps ethernet adapter, but for sustained throughput, it
> > > may not come close.
> > >
> > > Some of the newer GHz x86 processors could probably tap a keg of whoopass
> > > on crunching through the policy and you may approach 100Mbps and
> > > beyond.  You'd then need to bundle into that configuration some speedy
> > > memory, etc.
> > >
> > > The newer processors from AMD and (when they get their act together) Intel
> > > are capable of crunching through policy relatively well.  Add that with
> > > faster memory, etc (should DDR-SDRAM materialize), and your x86 firewall
> > > will most likely smoke a Solaris/Sun-Based firewall.
> > >
> > > The real problem here is that you only have Linux or NT on which to run
> > > CP.  Since neither can handle packets as well as Solaris, and Nokia
> > > selfishly clings to their IPSO/FreeBSD CP binary, we don't have a
> > > more efficient OS to slap atop this newer, speedier hardware.
> > >
> > > Either we pressure Nokia/CP to release native *BSD binaries of their
> > > product, or we wait for Nokia to "support" better and more capable
> > > hardware.
> > >
> > > Peter Lukas

--Paul