[FW1] Local host routing issues

Hi all,
We are having a peculiar problem with our mail server and I hope that this
is the forum to ask.  We are running sendmail 8.12 here just having
converted from Netscape Messaging server this week.  When emailing from a
local domain to a domain that is locally hosted by us I get the following
result

------------------------snip-----------------------
[root@mail1 /]# telnet mail.foo.net 25
Trying 1.2.3.4..

------------------------snip-----------------------

mail1 = our mailserver
mail.foo.net = our mailserver's dns entry
1.2.3.4 = the external number of our mailserver - we are doing a static NAT
from a 192.168 number to this "legal" ip address

Now my understanding is that this is trying to initiate a connection from
the internal invalid ip address through the firewall and back in. Every time
I have tried this it just hangs... the firewall logs aren't saying much - I
have logging turned on for the rules that deal with this server and am
seeing nothing.  Is there a (secure?) way to allow this?  Is there a better
way of doing this?  Is this a sendmail issue?

HELP!!

Matt Regan
Systems Administrator
Blackfoot.net