[FW1] Solaris routing concern

Sorry if this is not exactly on topic but I'm stuck...

Here is my situation, I'm new to Solaris and I have a Sparc 220r with 1 HME
NIC and 1 QFE NIC.  This is the box I would like to put FW-1 on (actually
this is about the 5th time I've started from scratch trying to get this to
work).  The FW-1 docs tell me to make sure the box routes properly before
installing FW-1, that's my problem.  HME0 is my external interface and QFE0
is my internal.  (This is all currently in a test environment) I can, with
my internal PC, ping the internal and external interfaces of the Solaris box
but cannot ping the pc off the external interface.  If I'm on the Solaris
box I can ping everything.  When I do a traceroute on the Solaris box it
warns me that multiple interfaces were detected and then uses the first
interface it finds as the source regardless of where I'm routing to.  I
looks to me like it is completely ignoring the routing tables, is this
normal or am I missing something?

Cisco Rebelo
Network Manager
Millbrook Incorporated