Re: [FW1] Redhat, FW-1, and packages

All you'll really need is the base system installation.  Remove any
package with "server" in the title:
 for rpm in `rpm -qa|grep server`; do rpm -e $rpm; done

You can get rid of the xfs package, ghostscript and printing nonsense.

You'll also want to surf through /etc/rc.d/init.d and remote packages with
nasty names like ypbind, linuxconf and sendmail.  Again:
 rpm -e `rpm -qf <name-of-nasty-package>`

The package manager may bark at you about dependencies.  Remove those too.

In a nutshell, all you really need is the kernel and runtime libs.  A
realistic system could consist of the essential runtime libs (nearly all
boot floppies contain this to some extent).  If you must add things to the
firewall device and expand its role of stateful packet filter, you're
gonna have to add additional dependencies, etc.

Maybe when you're through, you can post your results on phoneboy? :-)

Peter Lukas