Re: [FW1] Port Range!!!

Greetings

There seems to be some confusion as to how to use port ranges in a firewall
policy.  Allow me to explain:

On the address translation tab, when you right-click on the "services"
column, you have the option of Adding/New/Port Range.  This is probably NOT
what you want to do, unless you plan on translating ranges of ports.  The
gentleman  who said port ranges could only be used in NAT was correct in
this sense; you cannot use port ranges (in the sense of a service object
defined as a type "port range") in a policy rule.  They shouldn't even show
up as available services in your rulebase tab.

As the other gentleman stated (almost correctly),  you can create a new
"regular" service <Manage/Services/New/(tcp or udp)> and put "1024-65535"
(w/o quotes) in the "port" column, not the "source port range".   The Source
Port Range (if filled in) tells the FW to only allow traffic that matches on
the source port (range) as well as the destination port.  There are times
when you might  need this, but now is probably not one of them.
Alternately, you can put >1023 (not 1024 as stated by the other gentleman.)

Having said that, there should be predefined services called
"TCP-High-Ports" and "UDP-high-ports" which are tcp or udp >1023.  They are
there on all of my firewalls (4.0 and 4.1) and I know I've never created
them.  If they're not there on yours, perhaps its a serivce pack issue, or
you deleted them once upon a time.

Regards
jakevil