From: Palmer, Kevin [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 10:47 PM
To: 'Mouliswaran, Chandra'
Subject: RE: [FW1] Webserver/Firewall issue...

Chandra,

When one of my servers was hacked I wasn't even able to log in from the
console. None of my accounts worked including root. The best I could do was
type 'linux single' at the LILO prompt. I have a pretty good idea that I
pulled the plug on the server while the unknown hacker was logged in and
looking around. After I surveyed the damage I decided the best thing to do
would be to back up several text config files then reformat and reload.
There was quite a bit of damage once I started looking. I found a root kit,
hidden processes, new accounts, a new IRC server in the process of being
installed, hidden directories, and nearly clean log files.

The server in question was non-production box. This server and several
others are now in their own DMZ.

Recommendations?

Log in at the server if possible. Restart the server and enter "linux
single" at the LILO prompt if necessary. Type "cd /" then "cat /etc/passwd".
Are there any new accounts?

Move your server into a DMZ. There is always a way to make this work.

The Know Your Enemy whitepaper series provides a good overview of some
common Unix exploits.
http://project.honeynet.org/papers/ Is it just me or was there a more
detailed version of "Know Your Enemy"?

Kevin Palmer