Re: [FW1] Rule Installation Problem

Jeff:

I had this problem once and to fix it, I had to clear out the "state"
directory and push out the rulebase again.  I'll try to provide more details.

In my environment, the routing is extremely complex.  We have what is known
as a Multiple Entry Point network - there are numerous Internet connections
and we always have issues with asymetric routing - a packet comes in one
firewall, and tries to go out another one (so it gets dropped because it's
not in the state table).

Now our firewall management server sits on a management network, along with
DNS servers, HP openview servers, etc.  Each firewall gateway has numerous
interfaces.  The external interface has an IP address that is routable -
205..xx.xx.  The internal interface is something like 10.1.1.1.

When we were setting up this network, sometimes we would push the policy
out (from the UNIX command line) to the 10.1.1.1 address, and other times
we would use the GUI to push it out to the 205..xx.xx address, which is
the IP address used in the General Tab of the network object definition for
the remote gateway.  What we found was that the firewall would get confused
about which policy to grab when it was stopped and restarted.  If you look
in the /etc/fw/state directory, you'll see a bunch of files created when
you push out a policy.  Because we sometimes used the 206 address, and
other times used the 10.1.1.1 address, the state directory on the
management server had a set of files associated with both IP addresses and
the remote firewall got confused about which policy to load from the
management station.

What we did to fix this was to go into /etc/fw/state and delete everything
(well, we were move conservative and we just moved everything into a
temporary directory for later deletion).  We had to do this both on the
management server and the remote firewalled gateway.  After the
/etc/fw/state directory was empty on both management server and remote
gateway, we pushed a policy out and the problem went away.

I had contacted Checkpoint Tech Support, but they were clueless.  The
engineer assured me that this scenario was absolutely impossible and that
we had nothing to worry about (thank goodness we sprung for that Gold
Support).  He did not understand the fundamentals of how files are created
in the state directory and how gateways determine what ruleset to load when
they fetch it from the management station.  So I figured it out myself, and
now pass this on to you in hopes that it will help you out of your situation.

Hope this helps.

Joel