RE: ADDENDUM - Interesting fix - Re: [FW1] "nameserver" in Servic e column in log files?

Hi, Becky.  If you want your modification to be noticed you will probably
have to bounce the FW service that is logging (EMC or standalone, whatever
you have).  That _should_ pick-up the change.

If you wanted to just see protocol and port numbers, you could remove
/etc/protocols and /etc/services respectively on a *nix host.  THIS IS
PROBABLY NOT A SMART MOVE AND WILL BREAK THINGS.  I'm just saying that it
_could_ be done.

Me, I prefer the opposite.  I parsed the protocols and ports lists from IANA
and reused them as my /etc/protocols and /etc/services files on my EMC.  If
I see weird stuff in the logs it ususally forces me to investigate further
and figure out what the issues is.

Case in point, I saw weird IP protocol 89 traffic (CP didn't know what it
was before I modified /etc/protocols) which was being denied.  It turns out
that my internal routers were trying to redistribute routes up to my Nokias
via OSPF.  That could have been an issue.

Chris