Re: [FW1] Questions about CheckPoint 2000 Enteprise Suite -SP2 + Linux

Most of this is due to the way firewall-1 was developed. At first, it installed in /etc/fw on Solaris. This was wrong by the normal Solaris administration methods, but it's the way it was way back then. Ever since, there has always been a link to /etc/fw from wherever it has installed. /opt is correct on Solaris, and since that's where most of the development of Firewall-1 has gone on, that's why it's in /opt. Other Unices are similar enough to Solaris that CP can just use the same file format as for Solaris. The only one that is significantly different is NT.

Cheers

Simon

From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [FW1] Questions about CheckPoint 2000 Enteprise Suite -SP2 + Linux
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:30:18 -0500 (EST)

Well... I know its not supported, which is why I haven't posted anything to this list, but I've found fw-1 to be pretty flaky on a default Redhat 7.0. For instance, if you load the module but don't start the firewall (fwstart) and try to shutdown, it causes a kernel panic. Which is NOT good.

A question I have for checkpoint is, why do you only support Redhat, but
you didn't use Redhat file system schema?

A couple of the discrepancies(I think):
-Your application is in /opt and it should be in /usr/local
-You have put binaries in /etc/fw.boot which should be in /bin(or /sbin)
-You have linked /opt/CPfw1-41 to /etc/fw, all of this should be under
/usr/local
-Your modules is in /etc/fw.boot/modules and should be under /lib.. I
think!

sorry... another rant... I'll stop right...... now^X

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Mike Thomi wrote:

> [...]

--Paul