Re: [FW1] Architecture for connecting multiple sites via VPN

A decent practice would be to construct a traditional DMZ (Cheswick-style,
3 legged firewall) within which you terminate VPN appliances.

>From a management perspective, you can maintain that the endpoint be
"ANY" and maintain policy and access control on the DMZ interface of your
gateway firewall device.  THis prevents the scalability nightmare in
managing multiple endpoint VPN devices.

A security risk is introduced in this architectued because if multiple
endpoints exist in the DMZ, unauthorized access back to the remote site is
possibile from within the DMZ.  You will need to be certain that your peer
partners closely maintain acceptable security policies on their VPN
interface.

You may be able to prevent unauthorized routing in the DMZ with policy
routing and/or "Private VLANs" (if they even work).

>From what I gather from your message, this should not be an issue for you.

The beneffits in this design are simple: you distribute the VPN load
across independent systems.  Because maintenance of access control on the
VPN is left to the peer partner, you may more effectively scale the
service.  You also maintain a single point of entry for your peer partners
and can more efficiently maintain policy there.

If you maintain the peer partner firewall device, management may be more
difficult.  If your users understand the static nature of a security
policy, you may be able to more effectively scale the management of those
devices as well.

Peter Lukas