RE: [FW1] Linux/Checkpoint Statefull inspection comparison

Gill,

Let me preface my response by saying that I'm looking at this from the point
of view of a consultant trying to offer clients first class security
solutions. Several readers stated that a Linux solution would require at
least as much labor expense as a Check Point solution. I agree.

My problem is that I will eventually be going up against competitors
offering a Linux solution. Assuming that the labor required for both
solutions is the same, the customer would be looking at a price difference
of $8,495 (more or less). When the customer asks why Check Point is better,
I can mention market leadership, OPSEC, inspect modules, better reporting,
and other features. I could go on to suggest that a client use the same
security platform their business partners are using (assuming Check Point).
I have run into situations where two companies just happened to both have
Check Point and were able to take advantage of LAN to LAN VPN's and/or
Secure Remote easier.

I like your comment about making a solution out of almost anything. Intel
has a "roll your own" firewall solution. Follow the link to 15 page
description of Intel's firewall solution. (10 pages of filler / 5 pages of
content)
http://developer.intel.com/technology/itj/q12000/articles/art_1.htm

Don't get me started on CP licensing.

Kevin Palmer, MCSE+I & CCSE