Re: [FW1] Linux/Checkpoint Statefull inspection comparison

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 06:31:32PM -0500, Palmer, Kevin wrote:
: What is the big picture? How much competition will an improved collection of
: free Linux security tools be to Check Point in a price sensitive SMB market?
:
: CPVP-VIG-100-3DES-V41  List $8,495    vs.    Linux Solution  $0.00
:
: How many IT managers might decide that the additional security is not worth
: the price?

Up-front cost is never the only factor.  Never forget about ongoing support
costs.  Even in the free software world, you still pay for support.  Sure,
there are plenty of Linux support vendors, but how many of them have *real*
expertise in security practices and netfilter?

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.