Re: [FW1] FTP problems through 4.1 sp-2 looking for Ideas

From:
http://www.securityportal.com/topnews/weekly/checkpoint20000918.html

Multiple Problems with FTP After Upgrading
"Multiple Threads" posted by multiple frustrated
administrators

Q:     It is becoming very apparent that Check Point
may have overlooked a few things related to FTP in
their latest Service Packs. Many, many people have
posted problems with FTP DATA channels not working,
PASV FTP not working, or strange timeouts during
active FTP sessions. This must be a big problem, as
the #1 most frequently downloaded problem solution at
Check Point's support site is currently "FTP to
specific servers fails."

A:     Check Point's solutions to these problems are
as follows:

"FTP to specific servers fails," Problem ID #
(10043.0.982):

Edit the $FWDIR/lib/base.def file to allow FTP headers
without "\r\n":

Stop FireWall-1 (fwstop)

Edit the /$FWDIR/lib/base.def

Mark out the following line:
#define FTP_ENFORCE_NL
to:
//#define FTP_ENFORCE_NL

Start FireWall-1 (fwstart)

Re-install the policy

"FTP to some servers fails," Problem ID #
(10043.0.413):

Edit the /$FWDIR/lib/base.def file to allow this
behavior:

Stop the FireWall (fwstop)

Edit the $FWDIR/lib/base.def:

Change it from:

#define FTPPORT(match) (call KFUNC_FTPPORT
<0x1|(match)>)
//
// Use this if you do not want the FireWall module to
insist on
// a newline at the end of the PORT command:
// #define FTPPORT(match) (call KFUNC_FTPPORT
<(match)>)

//#define FTPPORT(match) (call KFUNC_FTPPORT
<0x1|(match)>)
//
// Use this if you do not want the FireWall module to
insist on
// a newline at the end of the PORT command:
#define FTPPORT(match) (call KFUNC_FTPPORT <(match)>)

(The change is to comment the first line, and
uncomment the last one)

Start the FireWall (fwstart)

Re-install the policy

Although these solutions worked well for some, many
others still had problems after applying these fixes.
Most are very frustrated by this, and hope that Check
Point will be fixing this once and for all in their
next Service Pack.

HTH -- Chris