Re: [FW1] Lost rulebase on FW-1 4.0/Solaris 2.7 (32-bit)

Hi Alex,

It would be silly for me to assume you tried File,
Open -- to look for your rulebase, correct?

I think this happened to me. You need to do the
following to regenerate your rulebase.fws file:

* Close ALL GUIs!!

* Check for "manage.lock" in your $FWDIR/log directory
to make sure no one is using a GUI. This file only
exists if someone is using a GUI.

* You should still see your rulebase .W file in your
$FWDIR/conf directory -- correct?

* From in your $FWDIR/conf/ directory (you must be in
the conf directory), run this command:

$FWDIR/bin/fwm  -g  *.W

This will rebuild your rulebase.fws file from all the
*.W files in your /conf/ directory

Now, open your GUI and File, Open (if necessary) to
get your rulebase.

There's a FAQ on this at www.phoneboy.com I think --
but I learned how to do this from several people on
this list (thanks). I've done it MANY times.

If you have any Q's -- let me know.

HTH -- Chris

--- Alexander Hoogerhuis <[email protected]> wrote:

> While editing the rulebase on one of my firewalls
> yesterday I received
> a "server disconnected" message, and when logging
> back in there was
> only the default "Standard" rulebase. Has anyone
> seen this problem
> before, and if so, is there an easy fix to it?
>
> For info:
>
> # fw ver -k
> This is Check Point VPN-1(TM) & FireWall-1(R)
> Version 4.0 Build 4156 [VPN + DES]
> kernel: Version 4.0 [VPN + DES] Build 4156
> #
>
> (I do realise I miss a patch or two on it, and they
> are on the way).
>
> cheers,
> Alexander
> --
> Alexander Hoogerhuis
> FYI: perl -e 'print

$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'