Re: [FW1] Pros and Cons of IP440 vs Solaris Checkpoint

* Dons Asbestos Suit *

The IP440 consists of hardware totaling less than $300 (cheap celeron
processor, memory and western digital hard drive).  Throw in the wan
card, and you may be looking at a total of approximately $450-800 US.

The IPSO core is an efficient packet-handler (it's a mutated FreeBSD).

While this is an intelligent move away from expensive solutions using Sun
and Solaris, it's closed nature prevents any useful tweaks and
customizations that may be necessary at your site.

For example, you cannot add software to assist the management of routes
without paying for it.  Not like dynamic routing has any place on a
firewall, but that's just an example of the closed nature of the Nokia
product.

On the upside, the Nokia folks figured out that all you need for speedy
checkpoint is a fast processor, system bus and memory.  They deliver in
their fast $30 Intel Celeron, 128MB micron memory and 33MHz PCI bus on the
intel board (newer systems may use a real Pentium and 100MHz bus --
still 33MHz to the QFE, though).

On the downside, checkpoint releases usually lag behind when made
available for the IPSO core.

At least the Sun hardware is much more stable and reliable (you'll rarely
find an IDE Western Digital drive on a Sun).

On the upside, you don't have to be an expert in UNIX to configure the
thing.

On the downside, if you are an expert in UNIX, you can't configure the
thing.

If you don't mind the weaker TCP/IP performance of the Linux stack, you
could effectively roll your own system and install CP atop it.

In my own opinion, the Nokia product had immense potential that was
sidetracked by capitalizing on people who previously overpaid for a
massive and overpowered Sun system for their packet-filtering firewall
device.

-peter