Re: [FW1] FW's constantly changing state

Mike:

     First thing that I would do is to get a laptop or whatever means you use to
connect a terminal directly into the console port on the 650's. Then I would run
tcpdump and look for any type of Multicast traffic either on 224.0.0.18 (This is
the VRRP multicast address for hello stuff) and/or a a multicast broadcast of
224.0.0.255 coming from a device on your network. Since you mention the fact
that you had a Cisco 6509 in place of the simple hub I am going to assume that
you use Cisco devices throughout your organization. Have your infrastructure
people recently deploy any new routers lately (depending on your network it
could be as long ago as a couple of days).

     I am not real familiar with Cisco equipment but we had this happen to us
some time back. I have talked to our infrastructure people and they said to
check all of your routers and make sure that there is a line in the configs
similiar to the following:

set port channel 5/1-4 mode desirable silent

     Hope that this helps. Good luck.

     P.S. If you do not have a device that you can readily connect to the
console ports on the 650s or are not that familiar with tcpdump you can also
connect a sniffer up on one of the legs of your FW (try internal first) and see
what you get.

MikeCC <[email protected]> on 01/29/2001 09:42:40 AM

  To:          [email protected]

  cc:          (bcc: James E Clukey/Rush/RSH)

  Subject      [FW1] FW's constantly changing state
  :

Hello,

I am running two Nokia 650's with FW 4.1 running VRRP.

The issue I am having is that every couple of minutes both firewalls change
state, from installed to disconnected and back from disconnected to installed.

When I look at the VRRP status, both firewalls think they are the
master.  The firewalls are connected for a Cisco 6509 switch, but I have
since put them on a simple hub and still see the same behavior.

Any suggestions?

MikeCC
http://atrek.org/mikecc