RE: [FW1] Not able to log into NT domain when Secure Remote is installed

So, how do you setup a laptop that uses a cable modem at home and also dial-up when away from home
during the day?  Secure Remote will bind to all adapters and you will have the NT domain login problem.
Checkpoint says the answer is to setup a new profile, however, how do you "disable" the dial-up adapter in
NT 4.0 in the profile?

Checkpoint tech support says that you can have this adapter / NT domain login problem even without their
software loaded.  Does anyone know that this is true or is this problem specific to Secure Remote.

Wendy
>>> Rick McMaster <[email protected]> 02/02/01 07:46AM >>>

It has certainly been my experience, and the experience of my clients, that
the best way to implement Secure Remote for laptops that are used both in
the office and at home is to only bind Secure Remote to the dial up adapter.
That way it is not used when the person is connected through the LAN
interface at work.  This is certainly a great way to avoid the exact problem
you are having.

I disagree, however, with the statement that your change should not have
caused this problem.  The mere fact that it worked before you made the
change and now it doesn't leads one to believe that the change caused the
problem.  It would be my guess that your change to the encryption domain
caused some NT resource that was previously not included in the domain (like
the BDC) to now be included.

In any case, your best solution is to unbind Secure Remote from the LAN
interface.

Rick McMaster
Sr. Network Security Engineer
ePlus Technology