RE: [FW1] SunUltra10: error while booting?!

I guess I missed the original thread, so I don't know who posted the
original question. Give this a try if anyone is having problems installing
drives in Ultra 5/10 systems.

If you can't see the correct drive on an Ultra 5 or 10, then first go to the
firmware (BIOS) OK prompt by pressing STOP-A. Then enter 'probe-ide'. Nope,
it's probably not even a listed command in the help menu like probe-scsi is,
but enter it anways and see if it shows you the proper hard drive.

If not, then feel free to use the master or slave jumper on the hard drives,
it'll work just fine (I know, I've done this many times), until the firmware
sees the proper drive.

Boot from the Solars install CD (enter 'boot cdrom' at the OK prompt). When
the installer starts open up a new console window and run the format
command. Make sure to also run the label command under format to label the
drive. The operating system should now see the hard drives correctly.

Sun Ultra 5 and 10 systems take regular IDE drives assuming that you do have
a fairly current firmware. At the firmware OK prompt enter '.version' and
check the version with the latest one from http://sunsolve.sun.com.
Upgrading the firmware is easy. If it's current then you can run out to Best
Buy, CompUSA, or wherever and pick up just about any IDE drive and make it
work in the Ultra 5/10 boxes. There have been issues with drives over
something like 30 or 40 Gig though.

If none of this works, then good luck to you! :)

Ron Atkinson
eBSG