From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, 24 January 2001 22:35
To: Ladie Geronimo
Cc: Firewall-1 List
Subject: Re: [FW1] NOKIA vs SUN on High Availability configuration

Ladie:

     I have had experience with both solutions. We started off with a single
Ultra-2 running Solaris with CheckPoint FW-1 back in the 3.0b days. We then
migrated to a pair of Nokia IP650s.

     I do have to say that out of the box the Nokia's are the easiest to set
up.
Not only that but you do not have to worry so much about hardening the box
after
installing the OS and before installing the FW software because it has
already
been done for you.

     Another point is that if you are looking at HA solutions the Nokia's
(at
least on the 650s) include VRRP for failover situations. Whereas if you are
looking at implementing the Sun equipment in an HA environment you would
have to
go out and purchase a third-party product such as Stonebeat Full Cluster
from
Stonebeat. It has been very stable for us. In the three years that we have
been
using the Nokia's they have never once failed over due to a hardware failure
or
any other anomaly unless I was the one to instigate a failover. In every
instance the boxes failed over without a hitch.

     If I remember correctly when we did our cost/performance analysis the
Nokia's outperformed the Sun, CPU cycle for CPU cycle.

     If you need any more information feel free to re-post or email me
directly.
Good luck.

"Ladie Geronimo" <[email protected]> on 01/23/2001 04:19:39 PM

  To:          Firewall-1 List
               <[email protected]>

  cc:          (bcc: James E Clukey/Rush/RSH)

  Subject      [FW1] NOKIA vs SUN on High Availability
  :            configuration

All,

We are searching for a high availability firewall implementation,
and working closely on either a NOKIA or a SUN platform solutions.

Does anyone have any experience on both or either platform and can
give us some suggestions or recommendations based on:

    1. Hardware and software installations and configurations
       Complexity, flexibity on adding DMZs, failover success
       and downtime, VPN failover, Software and OS upgrade,
       performance and bandwidth/throughput capability

    2. CheckPoint software support on either platform
       NOKIA or SUN hardware support

    3. COST:  money wise and admin overhead

I appreciate any input.

Thanks -- Ladie