[FW1] Microsoft DNS and Firewall-1

Title: Microsoft DNS and Firewall-1

We have several semi-secure zones separated through the ports on a Firewall-1 server.

I would like to set up each zone with it's own Microsoft DNS server running on NT, each one being a slave to one master dns in the internal secure zone.

The initial test isn't going too well. The Microsoft DNS Manager can't see any of the slaves and there doesn't seem to be any traffic generated at the firewall. Looking at the Microsoft DNS Manual from O'Reilly it says that the management is via a proprietary Microsoft RPC implementation, so I'm not sure what ports or protocols it will be trying to use.

Does anyone have experience of trying to get DNS updates and management through Firewall-1 ?

Thanks

Steve Allum
Software Services Group
Leicestershire County Council
UK
([email protected])

The contents of this message do not necessarily represent the
opinions, views, policy or procedures of Leicestershire County Council.