Re: [FW1] Strange things in RH62 + Fw1-41-Sp2( kmalloc: Size (275548) too large )

This has been a long outstanding problem.  I have been dealing with it for
months, and am no further ahead.  I have supplied my complete rulebase to my
vendor, so surely they or Checkpoint could reproduce the problem.  Given the
number of people on this list with the same problem, it behooves Checkpoint to
act...NOW!

FW1 is trying to allocate a chunk of kernel memory that, in the example below,
is 275,548 bytes.  The maximum size of a block of kernel memory that Linux 2.2
will allocate is 128KB.  There are ways to get bigger chunks of memory, but not
via kmalloc.

I tried increasing the cache sizes table, but the kernel failed to initialize
the cache at boot time, and promptly halted.  This is due to the number of bits
that are allocated for a combination of page size and chunk size.  An obscure
reference suggested that it could be possible to create a class of memory that
would accommodate larger sizes.  Kernel experts anyone?

Thanks for the clue about fwhmem on the fwinsmod line.  I tried it, but going
in the opposite direction.  I added fwhmem=128000, a number less than 128KB,
just to see if that would limit the amount of memory that fwd tries to
allocate.  Unfortunately it had no impact.

At this point it appears that the options are:

1. Get Checkpoint to fix the code.

2. Get Checkpoint to fix the code.

3. Use a trivial rulebase.  I tried one with about a dozen entries.  That
wasn't small enough, but it was necessary to accommodate our requirements.

4. Get Checkpoint to fix the code.

5. Work on a way for kmalloc to allocate more memory.

6. Get Checkpoint to fix the code.

7. Use another platform (Solaris, etc).

Did I mention that Checkpoint should fix the code?

BTW, has anybody seen this on the Linux-based appliances, such as the PDS-2100
fron intrustion.com?