From: Ian Campbell [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 6:06 PM
To: '[email protected]';
[email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] Opinion: Blocking hotmail, etc?

<<Our company has recently become aware that some employees are bypassing
our
email systems and using hotmail accounts to send personal email on work
time. This leaves us vulnerable to both the time lost in writing the emails,
as well as liable for content as hotmail sends the IP address of the source
computer along with the message, which would of course be traced back to our
company.>>

Just my opinion, but I think this is a little paranoid. Users will and do
write personal emails anyway, unless your email policies are so draconian
that they know their email can and will be read by 'big brother' (It
probably is if they're resorting to using Hotmail, etc...).

While I can't comment on the legal ramifications of a harmful email message
being traced back to your network, it would seem to me that this would be
way less potentially damaging to your company than having them send it via
the company mail server...

Also, I'm against doing this sort of thing on principle, since it sends the
message to your employees that you don't trust them to behave in a
responsible manner and breeds resentment. I wouldn't want to work for a
company that does this...

Ian