Re: [FW1] Authentication

I'm not too sure what you mean by "Digest Authentication".  I'm running
IIS 4.0 on SP6a, and I have:

1) Anonymous
2) HTTP Basic Authentication
3) NT Challenge Response

I can tell you that the way those work is:

1) Anonymous doesn't require any authentication
2) HTTP Basic Authentication sends user\passwords over HTTP in Base64
encoded format (close to clear text which is *trivially* crackable)
3) NT-C\R *Requires* NetBIOS (a.k.a NBT or TCP/UDP ports 135, 137, 138 &
139)

In my experience, passing NetBIOS information over the Internet is a
VERY bad idea.  All that said, I'd suspect that "Digest Auth" uses
NT-C\R and therefore NetBIOS and you're probably dropping it (as most
other people would.)  Hope this helps!

Jason