Re: [FW1] Solaris 2.7 core install and fw module

These are the packages i had to install as a minimum on Sol2.7
It is basically the "Core distribution" + SUNWtoo SUNWlibC
and to run the gui you also need:
SUNWxwrtl SUNWmfrun SUNWxwplt SUNWxwice

I probably could strip of some packages of the core distribution
(Like NIS, PCMCIA stuff, etc.) but i haven't tried that yet.
When you strip packages, reboot afterwards and check things are
still working (otherwise you reboot months later and you don't have
a clue where this strange error message comes from :-).

I wouldn't install much more than this (apart from perhaps Perl,
tcpdump, lsof for maintenance and problem solving), man pages are
better read on another system and you don't want to compile on your
firewall. Anything you add above the minimum will (statistically)
decrease security of your firewall and increase downtime (i.e. when
you need to patch the OS put also the chance of encountering a serious
bug increases with the amount of software you run).

have fun, Ewald...

application CPdtm-41       Check Point Policy Server
application CPfw1-41       Check Point FireWall-1
application CPgui-41       Check Point FireWall-1 GUI
system      SUNWadmr       System & Network Administration Root
system      SUNWatfsr      AutoFS, (Root)
system      SUNWatfsu      AutoFS, (Usr)
system      SUNWcar        Core Architecture, (Root)
system      SUNWcg6        GX (cg6) Device Driver
system      SUNWcsd        Core Solaris Devices
system      SUNWcsl        Core Solaris, (Shared Libs)
system      SUNWcsr        Core Solaris, (Root)
system      SUNWcsu        Core Solaris, (Usr)
system      SUNWdfb        Dumb Frame Buffer Device Drivers
system      SUNWdtcor      Solaris Desktop /usr/dt filesystem anchor
system      SUNWesu        Extended System Utilities
system      SUNWftpr       FTP Server, (Root)
system      SUNWftpu       FTP Server, (Usr)
system      SUNWged        Sun Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Driver
system      SUNWgedm       Sun Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Driver Man Pages
system      SUNWgedu       Sun Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Driver Headers
system      SUNWhmd        SunSwift SBus Adapter Drivers
system      SUNWkey        Keyboard configuration tables
system      SUNWkvm        Core Architecture, (Kvm)
system      SUNWlibC       Sun Workshop Compilers Bundled libC
system      SUNWlibms      Sun WorkShop Bundled shared libm
system      SUNWloc        System Localization
system      SUNWmfrun      Motif RunTime Kit
system      SUNWnisr       Network Information System, (Root)
system      SUNWnisu       Network Information System, (Usr)
system      SUNWos86u      Platform Support, OS Functionality (Usr)
system      SUNWpcelx      3COM EtherLink III PCMCIA Ethernet Driver
system      SUNWpcmci      PCMCIA Card Services, (Root)
system      SUNWpcmcu      PCMCIA Card Services, (Usr)
system      SUNWpcmem      PCMCIA memory card driver
system      SUNWpcser      PCMCIA serial card driver
system      SUNWpd         PCI Drivers
system      SUNWploc       Partial Locales
system      SUNWploc1      Supplementary Partial Locales
system      SUNWpsdpr      PCMCIA ATA card driver
system      SUNWqfed       Sun Quad FastEthernet Adapter 32bit Driver
system      SUNWsndmr      Sendmail root
system      SUNWsndmu      Sendmail user
system      SUNWsolnm      Solaris Naming Enabler
system      SUNWswmt       Install and Patch Utilities
system      SUNWtoo        Programming Tools
system      SUNWudfr       Universal Disk Format 1.50
system      SUNWxwdv       X Windows System Window Drivers
system      SUNWxwice      ICE components
system      SUNWxwmod      OpenWindows kernel modules
system      SUNWxwplt      X Window System platform software
system      SUNWxwrtl      X Window System & Graphics Runtime Library Links in /usr/lib

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 10:24:08AM -0500, Dameon wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Has anyone determined the minimum packages that are required to install the
> fw module (not manager) on a Solaris 2.7 core install?  I've added the
> SUNWlibC Sun Workshop Compilers Bundled libC, but still get core dumps
> during cpconfig...  I am attempting to install the unlimited firewall module
> on a sparq sol27 machine:
>
> **************** VPN-1 & FireWall-1 kernel module installation
> ****************
>
> Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
> Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
> installing VPN-1 & FireWall-1 kernel module... Segmentation Fault (core
> dumped)
> Done.
>
> thanks in advance,  -d

Ewald H. Beekman, Network Engineer, Academic Medical Center,
dept.  ADB/ICT Computer & Network Services,  The Netherlands
## Your mind-mint is:
The ratio of literacy to illiteracy is a constant, but nowadays the
illiterates can read.
		-- Alberto Moravia