RE: [FW1] FW-1 and PPTP

Without NAT, there should be no problem passing PPTP through FW-1 as far as
those required services are allowed in the rule. Assuming you have
configured that, there is one catch when PPTP server is NATted. If you call
CP Support, they will say it's not supported configuration. However, here is
what you can do even though it is very weird.

On FW, create an object for NAT address of PPTP server. However, you still
can use original object of the server to configure automatic NAT rule.
Add a rule allowing;
NAT PPTP server / Any or remote network of your choice / GRE / Accept

Now you wonder how come you need a rule allowing a connection from NAT
address. That's the weird part of this solution. If you sniff on the packet
or FW log, you will find that source IP address of PPTP response from the
server is strangely NAT address. As far as this packet is allowed, PPTP
connection just works.

Disclaimer: If MS realized that this thing is truly weird and shows lack of
security implementation on their VPN technology and came up with some fix,
this might not work any more.

Hope this help,

Sun Yu, CISSP
Worldwide Services