From: Greg Winkler [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 10:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Warning: No Upgrade path from 4.1 SP0 to Checkpoint 2000
(4.1 SP1) or beyond

Caution to readers: I've just got off the phone with Checkpoint Support and
my blood pressure has yet to return to normal, please take this into
account before you direct any flames towards me.

I'm attempting a service pack install of 4.1 SP2 on top of 4.1 SP0. I ran
into a slight problem (If you want the details of that problem and a fellow
admins proposed fix I've attached them below). I called Checkpoint Support
to get their read on the problem and a fix.

The fix according to Checkpoint is to Uninstall and then Reinstall all of
my firewall's and management stations using a Checkpoint 2000 CD! Is it
just me or is this a completely absurd solution? (Do Microsoft and
Checkpoint share the same tech support group?)

It seems that I was one of the few "unlucky" customers, or should I say
"victims", to receive a 4.1 CD. Note that this CD is not the same as the
Checkpoint 2000 CD which was made available a few months after the CD I
received.  The Checkpoint 2000 CD supposedly contains v4.1 with SP1 already
applied. The CD that I have, and used for my upgrade from v4.0 to v4.1,
contains no service pack and is not considered as the offical Checkpoint
2000 release. Per Checkpoint there is not a standalone SP1 release that can
be applied over 4.1. Instead, the "officially supported" method to get to
Checkpoint 2000 is to upgrade from v4.0 to Checkpoint 2000. Note that there
is not a path from a path to upgrade from v4.1 to 2000 or beyond. Instead,
if you are one of the unlucky customers, who happened to upgrade to the
v4.1 release immediately prior to the 2000 release, you are SCREWED! Your
only choice is to uninstall and reinstall to get yourself back into a
support upgrade path.

Now this is the gist of the conversation between myself and Checkpoint
Support. Now I've heard the horror stories of calling support and getting
some nitwit who really doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm praying
that this is the case here. Can someone help set this straight? I know
there have to be a few hundred if not thousands of folks out there in the
same boat as myself.

------------

Greg Winkler
Systems Manager, IT&S
Huntsman Corporation
Internet Mail: [email protected]
Voice:Fax:----- Forwarded by Greg Winkler/US/HO/HUNTSMAN on 01/04/2001 08:48 AM -----

                    [email protected]

                    ardier.com                     To:     Greg
Winkler/US/HO/HUNTSMAN@HUNTSMAN
                                                   cc:
[email protected]
                    01/03/2001 08:11 PM            Subject:     Re: [FW1]
fwdtmquery.dll not found after 4.1 SP2 install

I had the same problem.

If you have the 4.1.2 CD there is a package that have the specify directory
CD:\windows\CPdtm-41

Juste installed it.

Sylvain

"Greg Winkler" <[email protected]> on 01/03/2001 16:38:10