Re: [FW1] sshd howto...

Troubleshooting tips:

1. Is sshd wrapped with tcp-wrappers? Assuming the sshd daemon is invoked from
inetd, your /etc/hosts.allow should list acceptable addresses from which connections
are allowed.

2. Is sshd running on the standard port 22 or another? If running on a non-standard
port, make sure that your ssh client is specifying the target port.

3. Which sshd version is running? There are many problems with sshd2 used in
conjunction with tcp-wrappers. sshd1 runs with fewer difficulties wrapped. Also, the
ssh1 client has difficulty connecting to a sshd2 server.

4. Make sure that your /etc/services reflects the ssh service on the designated
port! /etc/services and tcp-wrappers work together when invoking the sshd daemon.

Example: sshd1 running on port 700 should have an entry in /etc/services as such:

ssh1        700/tcp    #ssh1
ssh1        700/udp

While in inetd.conf, the invoking line should read:

ssh1    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/local/sbin/sshd1 -i -p
700

Good luck - I