RE: [FW1] User Management

Joerg,

> From:	[email protected] [SMTP:[email protected]]
> Subject:	[FW1] User Management
>
> very basic question:
> I have never seen the Checkpoint LDAP- Usermanager in use. So, my question
> is: How comfortable is this toy ? Does it manage users and groups with
> different accesrights (i.e. usergroups that can do http & ftp others which
> only can do http ) ? Does this work with one general rule, so that every
> user only needs to authenticate once ?

The account management client manages users, and puts them into groups in
the LDAP database.  It does NOT control what services the user has access to
(that is still done by the rules in the firewall/1 rulebase).  I can't
comment on useability of the AMC, because I only use it if a new group needs
to be defined on the LDAP server.

To use those groups in your rulebase, you have to define External groups in
the firewall/1 user database.  (An External group definition points to the
appropriate group on the LDAP server). Those external groups can be used in
User Authentication rules.

To take your example:

create groups FTP_HTTP and HTTP_only in the LDAP server, and add the users
to the appropriate group.

Define external groups FTP_HTTP and HTTP_only in Firewall/1, referring to
the corresponding LDAP group.

Create two rules:
	FTP_HTTP@internal->Any->FTP,HTTP->User Auth

	HTTP_Only@internal->Any->HTTP->User Auth

Other ways of separating the users, and of setting up the rules, are
possible.  You do need two rules, and two groups, regardless of the
solution.

You need to have separate rules, because Firewall/1 is enforcing the
rulebase.  The LDAP server is just being queried to validate the users and
determine which group the user belongs to.

Each user will have to authenticate separately for FTP and for HTTP.  The
browser should correctly handle authentication for the services that it
uses.

What you gain from the added expense of the AMC license is that the user
management is separated from the firewall rulebase management.  Other user
management options require that users are defined on both firewall/1 and the
authentication system (eg RADIUS)  if you need to separate users into
different groups.

Tim

--
Timothy Frost			mailto:[email protected]
EDS New Zealand			Fax: +64-4-495-0473