Re: AW: [FW1] backup firewall

I think it is not sufficient to transfer hostname and IP only. You should do
the Mac- Addresses also so that in case of failure the ARP- Caches of the
routers do not need to be cleared.

--Joerg
[...]
Hi,

I am running checkpoint firewall-1 ver 3.0b on a Ultra-2 machine. I need to
configure a backup firewall with same firewall rules. What files do I need
copy from the orignal firewall to the backup firewall.

That depends upon whether you're running a distributed setup with a separated management station or not. If you do, you only need to copy the license and the IP address (and if you want to be sure the MAC addresses also, Jörg's right there of course).
If you don't have a distributed system you would want to copy the whole $FWDIR over to the cold standby machine. This is the most easiest setup.
Normally you would only need the conf and the state directories, but if you did changes to files in lib you might want to have that as well. So it is easiest to copy the complete $FWDIR.

Also I need to install license on the backup firewall. Should I use the same

hostname and Ip address as the original firewall to install the license.

Yes of course. That way you can use the setup only as a cold standby solution.

Please reply with as much info as you can to install a backup firewall. Is
there
any doco to install backup firewall?

None needed, it's pretty self explanatory. Make sure you keep your objects.C, *.W files and the user database on another system as well (like copying it over with a nightly cronjob) so they aren't lost if your disk crashes.

Btw, you definitely should upgrade to the latest 4.1 version - older versions have several critical bugs!

I'm still waiting for Check Point to include a decent versioning and revision system into the FireWall.

Thanks,
Rajesh.

Regards,

Axel