Re: [FW1] Basic questions

Rahul,

1. Depends on the version. CP FW1 v4.0 will allow connections
to continue, after you install a policy(except for VPN type
connections, which would have to be re-established).

The default in v4.1sp2 is to disallow them. This can be
changed, see phoneboy.com for info. If I've interpreted
your question properly, your most likely running v4.1sp2.

When you should install a new policy is based upon your
site and the companies policies. If, for example, you have
a large site with many rules and you install a new rulebase that
by accident cut's off access for important processes or allows
all sorts of stuff in, could you afford the time it would take to install
a corrected rulebase? How would you look in the eyes of those
who've trusted you to run a smooth operation?

2. The system has logic builtin to support for known services. In
your case, you would have to enhance the system to account for
the outbound traffic on one port and the return traffic on the other
port. IOW, you would need to define the services needed and the
rules to support these services.

HTH,
Robert

- -