[FW1] NT FWv4.0 to v4.1 upgrade problems

I am currently running v4.0 SP1 on a v4.0 NT server.  I didn't have a real
warm and fuzzy feeling about just jumping in and upgrading my production
firewall on the fly.  So, I'm using a spare PC for testing.

I installed NT server 4.0 and upgraded to SP5.  I then installed FW v4.0
and copied my $FWDIR from my live to my test machine.  Everything seems
fine. (I do not have the external interface connected, but I do have the
internal with a different IP address)  I see broadcast in my log file.

OK, I then upgraded to FW SP5.  I then installed FW v4.1 with the
backout/backward compatibility just in case the v4.1 does not work.  As
part of the v4.1 install the process also installs SP1.  I'm also running
the mgmt. station on the same machine.  I then install v4.1 SP2 and
everything seems just fine.

Now the problem.  I would think that I could now remove the v4.0 software
using the ADD/REMOVE in NT.  As soon as I uninstall v4.0 SP5, I can no
longer install a policy.  This is after I had already uninstalled all v4.0
products and couldn't then get into the server at all.  I then reinstalled
everything and found this problem with the SP5 uninstall.

What is going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stewart

STEWART RAE