RE: [FW1] Will Checkpoint run on an NT Workstation?

Hi,

Why bother short changing an NT licence. An NT server licence is peanuts
compared to a firewall installation and maintanence costs. You do not need
client licences if you are not doing file and print access.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/NTWorkstation/news/MktBulletins/ntlicensing.asp
for licencing details (URL may wrap)
and
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/news/mktbulletins/ntwvnts.asp

I think there is a bit of FUD here. The words do not say you cannot do what
FW-1 can do. An example being I can run an oracle server on NT server and am
not required to purchase client licences if i do not use the file and print
services.
Only MS can tell you if you are breaking the licence agreement.

Other things to point out. The FW1 25 node licence is the number of devices
protected by the firewall. The supposed 10 connections limit in NTW is a
concurrent licence.  So theoretically if in the fw1 log viewer there are no
more than 10 machines actively connected at one time you are not breaking
the licence.

If, as Cryptotech has stated, the licencing model has changed, MS cannot
retro fit that licenceing model to existing licences, only new ones IMHO. So
if you have a copy of NTW from a few years ago, you should be fine.

Having said all that, see my first paragraph.

cheers
Dean