[FW1] oh so frustrating IKE VPN problem

Hello, all.  I've been bumbling through a multiple FW-1/VPN-1 (4.1 SP2 on
one and 4.1 SP1 on the other) installation with the help of you all for a
few weeks now.  I'm at the final step and can't quite get it though.  I
followed CP's page on setting up an IKE site to site VPN tunnel between two
CP FWs ("How to setup gateway to gateway Single Entry Point (SEP) IKE VPN
tunnel with VPN-1 4.1? ").

10.3.0.0/16 --> FW <--> Internet <--> FW <-- 10.1.0.0/16

Both private networks can reach the internet successfully with hide behind
NAT.  The trouble comes when I try to reach a private network from the
other.  I keep seeing drops due to the rule:

(both private nets) (both private nets) ANY ENCRYPT LONG GATEWAYS

I'm trying to do shared secret IKE with any encryption and hash.  The
encryption domains are two groups with their respective private networks and
FWs.  For the interface security of the FWs I have "others" associated with
the external interfaces and "this net" for all of the internal interfaces.

Any thoughts on how to get this going?  Will CP do the routing here or do I
need to add routes on the OS beneath it?  Licensing is correct also.  The FW
module works perfectly.  Sigh.

Chris