[FW1] fwd died ?

Hi all

I had a situation recently where something strange was happening on one
of our firewalls.  State sync was apparently not working (although I
didn't check the state tables because I wasn't aware of this symptom
until too late), and one host was apparently being blocked, although
everything else seemed to be working fine.

Upon checking the firewall processes I noticed that on the Firewall, fwm
was running (without the name of the management station after it), but
fwd was not.   This seemed strange to me so I killed fwm, ran fwstart
(which started fwd), and pushed the ruleset to that firewall.   Viola,
everything was fine and dandy.

Unfortunately the business units, and our problem management people,
don't like explanations like "I just messed around for a while and
somehow fixed it" or even "the process appears to have died for no
reason".

Can anyone tell me any reason why fwd might have died, or why fwm was
running ?   Are there known problems with state sync in 4.0 ?    Is
upgrading to 4.1 likely to fix this ?   Is this just one of those things
?

Anyone with any ideas please reply to my email address as I don't follow
the list too much.

Thanks,

Daniel