Re: [FW1] NT vs Unix as FW platform

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 12:19:27PM +0200, Michael Liberte wrote:
:
: I would say that the test setup is a bit unfair.
: After looking at the graphs, almost noone bothers to check the hardware and
: software configuration of the machines that participated in the test.
: As a matter of fact, they have almost nothing in common in terms of
: processing power, patch levels, etc..
: http://www.checkpoint.com/products/firewall-1/pbrief.html

Agreed, the other test isn't a true measure of FW-1 performance.  This other
one is much more accurate.  Why?  Do users *ONLY* move VPN traffic through
their firewalls?  Heck no.  VPN, while very important, is certainly not
the bulk of firewall traffic today.

The other problem these performance studies fail to address is the
manageability of the platforms.  We all know that it's easy to get an NT
box up and running.  Keeping it that way, well, that's another story
entirely.  Platforms like IPSO, Solaris and Linux are far easier to
maintain (far better patch management, no DLL-Hell, etc.).

I'd like to see a more "fair" comparison on Check Point's site.  Look at the
different machines, none of them have similar CPU power.  Obviously, since
they include RS/6k's and Sun E250's, some adjustments would need to be made,
but we've got 3 Intel-based platforms here, and they're not even close:

1 x P-III 700	(Nokia IP650)
2 x P-III 600	(NT4 SP3 - hey, isn't SP4 the earliest that's Y2k compliant?)
2 x Xeon  550	(Linux - RedHat 6.1)

Why not put all 3 platforms on a single P-III 700 and let them duke it out?

: http://www.checkpoint.com/products/vpn1/vpn1perfdata.html

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.