Re: [FW1] securemote vpn and windows hosts file

Robert MacDonald wrote:

> Joerg,
>
> You must have a process somewhere that is
> modifying/copying the file. Do you use Novell's
> NAL or have login processes that run each time?
>
> Robert

> >Hi all,
> >
> >we got trouble with some windows nt clients (sp6, french language). On
> >most systems after rebooting the "hosts" file has time/date of boot
> >time and sometimes this file is _empty_ after booting. We tried to set
> >the file read only (mission specific parameters inside!), but after
> >booting there is a "copy of hosts".
> >
> >AFAIK nt systems only READ the host file and doesn't WRITE it?
> >
> >So, how could we protect this file?

Robert,

they use the normal (local) nt login process and these clients never
join any nt domain. They also had no virus scanner. I've checked the
problem on my win95 system and on this notebook, the same: always the
hosts file has time/date of boot time. On other windows nt clients,
who has no vpn-1 securemote installed, the hosts file is over 6 months
old (time/date of last change).
It seems that securemote (ver 4.1, sp1, build 4153) also writes this
file.
But why?
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
     Joerg Haverkamp