Re: [fw1-wizards] RE: [FW1] SR behind NAting device

This is a document about SR behind NAT from www.secure-1.com page.   I hope
it helps.
-
SecuRemote uses several TCP, UDP, and IP Datagram types depending on whether
FWZ or IKE is used.

IP Protocol 50 for IKE

UDP Port 2746 used for the UDP Encapsulation mode for IKE in Secure Client
4.1 SP2 and later.

TCP Port 264 for Topology requests from 4.1 or later clients to 4.1 or later
firewalls

TCP Port 256 for Topology request from 4.0 or earlier clients to 4.0 or
earlier firewalls (4.1 clients fall back to this when talking to 4.0
firewalls)

IP Protocol 94 for Encapsulated FWZ

UDP Port 259 for FWZ key exchange information.

If you are subject to address translation, it is highly recommended to use
IKE instead of FWZ. Both encapsulated and unencapsulated FWZ are known not
to work with HIDE NAT at all. Static NAT (1-to-1 address mapping) should
work with FWZ in either mode provided you allow IP Protocol 94, UDP Port
259, and other services if you use FWZ in unencapsulated mode. However, most
NAT gateways will reject unencapsulated FWZ packets because the checksums
are changed to support the FWZ encryption scheme.

If you are subject to any form of NAT, IKE is your best bet. However, most
NAT gateways can not be configured to perform HIDE NAT on generic IP
Datagrams. Provided you can forward UDP Port 500 packets and IP Protocol 50
(IPSEC) packets with your NAT gateway, you can use IKE with NAT.

Secure Client 4.1 SP2 and later when used with FireWall-1 4.1 SP2 and later
support a 'UDP Encapsulation Mode' for IKE. Instead of using IP Protocol 50,
UDP port 2746 is used. Most NAT gateways can perform address translation on
UDP packets and it is designed to work with HIDE NAT, meaning multiple users
can make use of SecuRemote behind a HIDE NAT gateway. Provided your clients
are able to use TCP port 264 to fetch the topology, UDP port 500 to perform
an IKE key exchange, and UDP port 2746, this should work.

You will need to modify objects.C on the management console to permit
FireWall-1 to accept connections from NATted SecuRemote users. Edit
$FWDIR/conf/objects.C. After the props: line, add:

:userc_NAT (true)
:userc_IKE_NAT (true)

To configure the UDP Encapsulation Mode for FireWall-1 4.1 SP2, create a
service called VPN1_IPSEC_encapsulation if it does not already exists.
Create it with port UDP 2746. Then add the following section to the section
with your gateway object to objects.C:

:isakmp.udpencapsulation (
:resource (
:type (refobj)
:refname
("#_VPN1_IPSEC_encapsulation")
)
:active (true)
)

Re-install the policy.

Note that in the default configuration, FireWall-1 will determine whether or
not to use this mode based on the source port of the incoming UDP 500
packet. If it comes from source port 500, it will not use the UDP
encapsulation mode. If it comes from a different source port, UDP
encapsulation mode will be used. More details and instructions for disabling
or forcing this mode can be found in the Secure Client 4.1 SP2 Release
Notes.

-----

Andrew Bagrin
Secure-1www.secure-1.com