From: John Somerville [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 4:36 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [FW1] Securemote - Internet - Router (w/NAT) - Firewall
(inspect only) - Firewall (w/VPN Termination)

I have the following configuration: Securemote - Internet - Router (w/NAT) -
Firewall (inspect only) - Firewall (w/VPN Termination)

I am looking for a way to get Securemote to work. In this configuration we
have a Cisco router as the Internet gateway that handles NAT. Behind the
router is a Nortel Router running just the CheckPoint Inspect code. All
networks attached to the Nortel are Private IP. Behind the Nortel router is
a Solaris 2.6 Server running CheckPoint FW1/VPN1 modules. This also has a
private IP on the External and Internal interface. Does anyone know if we
can get Securemote to work under the current configuration? If it is not
possible has anyone been able to figure out how to make gateway to gateway
VPN to work under a similar circumstance?

>From what I can see, Securemote does not work because the user.c file on the
client is populated with the private IP address that is assigned to the
external interface of the firewall. This prevents the client from creating
the tunnel.