RE: [FW1] FireWall-1, 40000 connections, and a hammered processor ...

I have encountered this problem, and have been able to fix it.
I had a very high-volume web site, with more than a million hits per hour.
The firewall reached the limit of 25K connections and chocked after 20
minutes uptime.
I have increased the "maximum allowed connections" limit to 50K and it
chocked after an hour.
Let's see....
When TCP connection is made to your server through the firewall, the
connection is inserted into firewall's state table.
When does the firewall delete the connection from the table?
1. When RST packet is sent in either direction.
2. When the connection ends (FIN packet).
3. When you reload the security policy - the connection table is cleared.
4. When the timeout is reached.
By default, the timeout for idle TCP connections is one hour. That means,
that if the connection is not terminated by one of the endpoints, client or
server, the connection just sits there in the state table, becoming a
"zombie" connection, for an hour.
My customer had a bug in his http-based application, something didn't close
the session, I don't remember if it was the client or the server. Everyone
would agree, that no connection should last an hour. Remember, we're talking
about IDLE connections, I can hardly think of a situation when you have
fifty thousand active downloads simultaneously. Moreover, http protocol
usually closes the session after you get your page, unless you have
keep-alives enabled on the server. The only scenario I can think of when you
have an idle session for more than an hour is telnet, when you leave your
terminal open and go for lunch.
You have an option in FireWall-1 to define different timeouts for different
protocols. Check this:
http://www.phoneboy.com/fw1/faq/0203.html
What I did was pretty simple:
I defined the timeout for HTTP to be 40 seconds, and I left the default 3600
for all the rest.
Since then the FireWall stayed at less than 8000 connections, no connections
were lost, the customer saved a lots of money on load-balancing solution,
and they lived happily ever after.
HTH,
Cheers,
Michael.