Re: [FW1] backup firewall

Barry, there are two currently prevalent technical solutions to your
question:
1) Hot standby failover
2) Active/Load Balanced failover

There are other solutions, but these are most common for your situation.
The choice of which is most appropriate for your situation is based upon
business need, cost of failure, throughput requirements, and cost of
solution.  The Hot standby, as you read from another mailing list associate,
is now available as a Check Point solution in version 4.1 SP1.  This
solution is not expensive as high availability is concerned, but averages
$12000.  It is used in many Check Point solutions and has pleased many who
have decided to use it.

However, many prefer to go the route of a 3rd party solution.  These
solutions typically range from the $10,000 dollar range and up with more
functionality, including active/active load balanced solutions.  The
dominant applications in this market are Stonebeat from StoneSoft and
Rainwall from Rainfinity.  The dominant hardware solutions, which would
increase performance over software solutions, are Alteon and Foundry.  They
are a much more expensive solution, but once again they have some added
value and are OPSEC certified by Check Point.

Hope that helps and good luck.