[FW1] log message queue is full

We are experiencing issues with our FW as of the last two nights where
services seem to hang for around 3-5 minutes.  I can no longer get on the
FW, sshing to the management console is very very slow, with the FW itself
being impossible.  This happens for a 5 minute period and things then are
normal again.

We're using FW4-1 SP1.  Checking the /var/adm/log on the FW shows the
following messages at the times mentioned:

.
FW-1: log message queue is full.
FW-1: lost 150 log/trap messages.
FW-1: Warning: Modify for a new entry
FW-1: <d82716d
FW-1: ,429
FW-1: ,etc.....

I've tried running a fw logswitch on the Firewall only to have it fail and
core out.  I've saved and purged the log entries from the GUI client,
however recall and browsing the log is very slow.

Phoneboy talks about an issue like this in a 3.0 version, with the Warning
being a harmless error to ignore.  This set of errors always corresponds to
the time when things go down.

Does anyone have some suggestions.  This also only happens so far at night.

Thanks ahead.