From: Mark Decker [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 12:30 PM
To: 'Jack Klein'; [email protected]
Subject: RE: [FW1] NT or Unix

I can vouch for Dan on this point.  I've seen several different
benchmark results that give Unix a 20-40% advantage over NT on max
throughput, depending on the Unix flavor.  Solaris performance is hard
to compare fairly because the HW platforms used to test are always
different, but you can do a nice apples-to-apples with Linux.  Of the
three (NT/Solaris/Linux), Linux seems to be the best performer,
especially in terms of overall cost per Mbit of throughput.  However,
you'll probably find better commercial support for Solaris and NT than
Linux at this point.

If you're not going to be maxing out the box, I say just "go with what
you know".

Mark L. Decker
Rainfinity
[email protected]