Re: [FW1] intrusion detection - benifits?

Well, working for a small security group, I have it on very solid ground (IDC,
Gartner)  that 70-80% of hacks come from inside the network.  Scotts initial
synopsis was dead on.  If you really want to be secure, trust no one.  But if you
are going to use an IDS, which makes more sense, to have an IDS outside where it may
catch hack attempts on ports/protocols that the firewall is not passing, or to have
it inside where it has a subset of rules to scan for, and thus can operate more
efficiently.  It will all get back to the balance between
paranoia/security/finances.

$0.02
CT

PS.  I trimmed the response   ;-)