Re: [FW1] Off-topic (somewhat): How does traceroute work, anyway?

Anders,

Your close - the TTL decreases. Traceroute sends
out a packet with an increasing TTL starting with 1.
When a router can no longer decrement the TTL, it
will send back an ICMP time-exceeded message.

IOW, when you traceroute, the system will figure
out the first hop by sending out a packet that
will have a TTL of 1 to the destination system.

The first router along the way will see that it can
no longer forward this packet becuase the TTL
will have expired(cannot decrement to 0). The
router will send back an ICMP time-exceeded
message, which your system records.

Then it proceeds to send another packet with a
TTL of 2. The first router will forward it and the next
hop will send back the ICMP time-exceeded.

This continues until it has reached the destination
system.

Robert

- -
Robert P. MacDonald, Network Engineer